Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that deals with correction of malposed teeth and jaws. It also focuses on modifying facial growth. The treatment duration depends on the severity of the problem, which can vary from 10 months to 2 years.
Each one of us have different sets of teeth, braces are the best solution for modifying jaw growth, aligning crooked teeth, closing spaces between the teeth, correction of bite, correction of gummy smile, correction of overlapping front teeth.
Teeth movement during braces treatment-
Orthodontist moves the teeth by applying light pressure on the teeth with the help of braces. These light pressures are within the biological limit, which doesn’t cause any damage on the teeth and surrounding bones covering the teeth and gums. A patient supposes to visit the orthodontist every 21-28 days for braces adjustments to make sure the teeth moves in right direction.
Right age to start braces treatment-
Braces treatment can be started as early as in mixed dentition stage, as doesn’t have any age limit. First braces consultation is recommended at the age of 7 years. As long as your teeth, gums and bones surrounding the teeth are healthy.
Types of braces
1. Conventional / Traditional Braces –
- Metal braces are made up of stainless steel and require rubber ligature rings around it.
- Less expensive.
- Noticeable while you smile and talk.
- Metallic smile
2. Ceramic Braces –
- These are clear and tooth colored braces which blend with your teeth.
- Esthetically Pleasing.
- Preferred by teens and adults who might have esthetic concerns.
- They require more care and Protection.
3. Damon Braces –
- Damon braces are self-ligating which has a sliding mechanism that allows the arch wire to move in response to your teeth, and doesn’t require rubber rings around it
- Damon are of two types-Metal & Clear.
- Painless and Easier to clean.
- No discomfort and less treatment time.
- Strong and durable.
4. Lingual Braces –
- Lingual braces are fixed at the back surface of the tooth, so its invisible from the front.
- Incognito brand – Lingual Braces uses 3D imaging and printing technology.
- These are customized braces up to patient’s teeth requirement.
- More expensive
- Treatment can take around 18-24months.
Retention after braces treatment-
The orthodontic treatment does not end once you remove your braces. Retention phase is also a part of orthodontic treatment. Retainers help in retaining the position of the teeth after braces are removed. There are mainly two types of retainers, fixed and removable. Your orthodontist would be the right person to decide the duration of wear of retainer and type of retainer suitable for your teeth.